These security announcements in the latest Dulwich Society Newsletter are relevant to us here too.
There have been recent reports of single
young women being hassled or mugged near the
junction of Turney Road & Croxted Road
Aggressive doorstep salesmen
There are continued reports of aggressive door-step salesmen
both in the Village and in West Dulwich. Police
advice is to be very careful to check before opening
These are probably the infamous ‘Nottingham Knockers’ who were seen in Fawnbrake Avenue in recent months – see this report from SWLondoner quoting advice from Operation REPEAT .
It’s a national problem. Kent Police issued the following advice about doorstep callers earlier this year. This includes:
- If someone turns up unexpectedly always put a door chain on before opening the door and keep it on while talking to callers.
- If you don’t have a door chain, check who is at the door from the nearest window
- Don’t be afraid to turn people away.
- Always ensure rear doors and windows are shut and locked when answering your front door.
- Call police if you suspect cold callers may be bogus.
Southwark Police issued the same advice earlier this year.
NappyValleyNet reports similar issues.